Monday, June 9, 2008

What’s your Heart Song?

I’ve been wondering: is having a blog just another demand on precious time and energy? I haven’t even done a proper post yet, and I am feeling the stress, like I better write something! I make no promises like, “I will keep this updated regularly.” That would be a lie, and not even a good one. The idea is this is supposed to make me a better writer. I’ll write in it when I feel like I have something worthwhile to say.


That being said, I thought I’d start out with something I find pretty easy to talk about: Music.

I had to get the new Weezer album as soon as it was available (my first full album iTunes download, by the way). And I hope you get it too! It’s well worth a listen.

One track in particular really resonated with me. That track is called Heart Songs.

It’s a delightfully intimate tour through Rivers Cuomo’s musical conscience, a sweet mixture of We Didn’t Start the Fire and My Favourite Things. Each verse is like a puzzle, “Who sang that?” “Oh, yeah, I like their stuff too,” “I need to research that one.”

Heart Songs serves as a reminder of the power music has to profoundly affect us, ever more important in our high-stress existence. As someone who rates music as one of the greatest pleasures we get to experience on this miserable world I love that idea that we all carry around this special ‘playlist’, a bunch of songs that buoy our hearts, no matter what.

Thanks once again for a great album, Rivers. You’ve provided your share of heart songs to me, and many others I’m sure.

No comments: